Today was super rainy and cold, and I decided that making soup was simply necessary. It was my first time making this particular recipe, and I LOVE it!
Minestrone (Chunky Vegetable Soup)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 russet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can peeled, diced tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup fresh green beans, ends cut off and snapped in half
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Put 3 tablespoons of the oil into a large, deep pot over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, until the onion softens (about 6 minutes.)
- Add the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for a minute or two, then add the broth and the tomato; bring to a boil, then lower the heat until the mixture bubbles gently. Cook, stirring every now and then, until the vegetables are fairly soft.
- Add the soft vegetables and the parsley and adjust the heat again so the mixture simmers. Cook until all of the vegetables are very tender, about 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on top!